Sunday 22 January 2012

KenTurkey Fried Chicken

Always keen to sample exotic strains of KFC, KFB recently visited the world's foremost poultry related nation: Turkey - to try their take on our favourite food.

I'm sad to report that KFC in Turkey is massively outnumbered in Istanbul by its two main rivals, but we located one in the fashionable district of Beyoglu and got down to business.

Being at the opposite end of the continent from where I usually eat my chicken I was surprised to find a near carbon copy of the UK menu, and restaurant design. This did however have one advantage, I could give a side by side appraisal of the strengths of the Turkish operation when compared to our own UK version.
I opted for one of my favourite TLO's, the Boxmaster, which arrived in good proportions and was well constructed. The meal price was 10.95 Turkish lira which works out at a very agreeable £3.85. On top of the meal I opted for some Hotshots (think scaled up popcorn chicken with a kick - delicious) and of course I had to sample the 'Gravy Sos' which was a pretty good attempt at emulating the British version.



One area that put us to shame was the Turkish version of the Freshen Up Wipe which really was of premium quality and extra large in comparison to our own.
Another great feature, delivery... which KFB has seen offered in a few places, I think it's high time this made its way to the UK.

Overall, however, although in appearance it matched the UK, in quality it just didn't quite measure up, the meal was... ok.

The best thing however was being able to get my very own souvenir KFC fridge magnet which now proudly adorns the KFB northern office's fridge... check it out:

2 comments:

Bill said...

This is very interesting. You just travel around to all the KFC's around the world and sample the chicken? That's awesome! You have a great job.

http://socialgraze.com

dg said...

Oh Bill...... If only we were getting paid!